Saturday, June 09, 2007

My Lords and Ladies!

So, our last night in the Chicago area was spent at Medieval Times. It's a dinner and "tournament" where you eat with your hands ("There were no forks in medieval times, therefore there are no forks at Medieval Times.")and cheer for your night as he battles his way to hopefully become the king's new champion. I've secretly always wanted to go, but was afraid it would be touristy and cheesy. It kinda was, but it was a lot of fun! It's a Disney-fication of medieval Spain, not terribly authentic, but still entertaining.
We had to get 8:30 show tickets due to Shannon's schedule, so I worked really hard to get both the kids to nap in the afternoon so they would be able to stay up later. I just drove around the Barrington area until they were both asleep, and then kept driving for another hour or so. In addition to her being tired and crabby, I was also worried that the show might be too much for Madeleine's two-year-old sensibilities (See Princesses on Ice). Of course, I didn't think of that until after I bought the tickets, (just like Princesses on Ice), when I saw the disclaimer on the tickets that said something about photostrobic and smoke effects.
I needn't have worried.
She was completely entranced and stood up in her seat the entire program. She refused to eat anything, but she would every once in a while reach down and pick up her mug with both hands to sip her Pepsi (it was the only drink provided and I didn't think to bring any juice). We got front row seats, so we were right in front of the action. Of course, we cheered for our Red and Yellow Knight and waved our little flags for him. The first thing they do when you walk in is give you a paper crown with your knight's colors on it. This also tells you what section to sit in. Madeleine yelled, "Yay Knight!" and waved her flag fiercely.
Every time our knight walked by our section, we'd cheer and he'd hand these carnations out to different women in our section (which he would kiss first - gag!). I thought for sure, since she was so cute that he'd give one to Madeleine one of those times. Nope. I thought, "She's cute. She's two. Give her a bloody flower!" Nope, no carnation for her. However, about halfway through the show, the princess put these ribbon favors on the ends of all the night's lances. Our knight walked over to our section, stopped in front of us, and lowered his lance right at Madeleine! He was giving her the favor! I pulled it off, and it said, "The Queen of Love and Beauty". Everyone in our section cheered and clapped for her, and a photographer ran up to take her picture. Of course, the stinker wouldn't smile for the guy, but he got a picture anyway. And because I'm a mom and a sucker, I bought it and the pictures they took of us as we walked in.
As for Noah, well, there's not much for a nine month old to do at Medieval Times. He wouldn't leave his crown on, and fell asleep in Shannon's arms before it was over. I remembered after I wrote the original post that Noah had the nasty cold that was going around our family, with the worst runny nose I think I've every seen on a baby. I had given him some infant cold medicine to ease the cold symptoms, which, like many other cold meds, makes one sleepy. So he was a little out of it from not feeling well and from the cold medicine.
We each got a hightlights DVD that we watch daily now that we're home. Madeleine gets excited every time she sees the horses, the nights, and the princess. The crowns and the flags have pretty much bit it, but she pores over the pictures they took. We really had a good time, and I would love to go again someday.
(Sorry about the wonky way the pictures turned out. I scanned them in a hurry.)








No comments: