Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Prodigal Homer and I'm Putting Puking Toddlers on Notice


Last night, Shannon woke me up at 11:30 pm to tell me the front door was cracked open, he didn't for how long, and our cat Homer was no where in the house. Homer is a two three year old big old fat and fluffy boy who is declawed in the front. He would love to be an outside cat, but without his claws and on our busy road and constant construction in our development, he wouldn't stand a chance. Well, it seems Homer saw his chance last night and mafivde a break for it.

Shannon woke me to tell me he was going to look for him down the street, so I wouldn't wake up for some reason and wonder where he went. Homer is my special kitty and there was no way I could go back to sleep without looking around the house myself. Of course, he was gone. Shannon came back from walking and got his car and drove around the neighborhood. No Homer. I just knew he had been hit by a car or clashed with a critter (racoons and oppossums are pretty vicious animals) and was not comming home. We had to go to bed, but I left the front porch light on in case he was looking for the way home. I realize he's a cat and probably didn't need the light, but it helped me feel better. And as it turned out, it was helpful in getting back in the house.

At five am or so, I was up feeding Noah. My stomach wasn't right (thanks, Madeleine) and got a sprite and a cracker to help settle. On my was back to bed through the living room, I saw something moving in our front picture window. It was Homer! The the porch light hadn't been on, I wouldn't have seen him in the window. All I had to do was open the door and he hopped out of the window and ran inside. He was hungry, but not hurt. I was so excited I picked him up and took him in to wake up Shannon. I certainly hope Homer got a bunch of prowling and exploring in, because it's going to be a long long time before he gets to have an adventure like that again.

Back to Madeleine, she's had some kind of stomach bug over the weekend. Babies are sweet and adorable, and toddlers are cute and fun and full of pure love and energy, but you really know you're a parent when you have to get up and change bed sheets at 1 am. Or you have to change your t-shirt three times in one night because you're child is too little to understand to puke into a pan or the toilet. However, she is all recovered today and has color in her face and enough energy to chase Homestar around the house (welcome back, indeed!) Now I have a touch of whatever made her sick. It's not as bad, but let's just say I can't go too far from the bathroom. Ick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay return of homer and yay family blog!